From this page you can download a custom landscape for the Walkway over the Hudson, in Poughkeepsie, New York, for the Stellarium planetarium software.
Stellarium is free planetarium software for your computer. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Stellarium shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. It is also used in real planetariums (including the one at SUNY New Paltz).
You can learn more about Stellarium, and download the software, from Stellarium.org
- Getting Started with Stellarium
- If you are new to Stellarium this handout (from an introductory course in Astronomy that I taught at Marist College) will help you quickly learn how to use the controls to configure Stellarium and to navigate the sky to view the objects that interest you.
- Installing a Landscape
- Detailed instructions for installing a landscape in Stellarium.
- More Landscapes (from Stellarium.org)
- The complete collection of user contributed landscapes for Stellarium, covering all 7 continents, as well as special locations on the Moon and Mars. You can download the landscape for the Walkway Over The Hudson from this page as well (it's under "North America").
|Walkway Over The Hudson, New York||Eric Myers||CC-BY-NC||0.11.x||English|
|Walkway Over The Hudson Historic State Park spans the Hudson river in the state of New York between Poughkeepsie and Highland. It was originally a railroad bridge, which was completed in 1889 and was in service until 1974, when it was closed after a fire. The bridge is 1.28 miles long, with the center deck 212 feet above the river (which is at sea level -- the river actually flows both directions with the ocean tides far inland beyond Poughkeepsie). The bridge was later refurbished into a pedestrian walkway, which opened in 2009, becoming the longest footbridge in the world.|
THIS BIT HAS BEEN MOVED TO ANOTHER PAGE
How to Install Landscapes in Stellarium
The steps for installing a new landscape in Stellarium
are straightforward. It looks like there are a lot of them,
only because I give enough detail that you shouldn't go wrong.
|Last modified: 04 January 2015||Copyright © 2015 by Spy Hill Research||http://www.spy-hill.net /myers/astro/stellarium/walkway.html|